For many years, people have used essential oils for hair care, due to their moisturising, soothing, and enriching properties. If you are looking for the best oils for hair, check out some of out my favourite DIYs that will keep your luscious locks in good condition all year long.
DIY Essential Oil Hair Perfume
Hair perfume is a great way to leave those you pass by with the sweet and enticing aroma of essential oils. Lightly spray it on your hair to keep it smelling sweet and fresh. Feel free to switch up the essential oils used in this recipe to create your perfect aroma.
This sweet smelling concoction is full of some of the best essential oils for hair—Ylang Ylang, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Grapefruit, and Lavender oil. Keep your hair smelling fresh and sweet all day long with this simple essential oil Hair Perfume DIY
- In fine-mist glass spray bottle, add rose water, vanilla extract, and essential oils. Add more or less essential oils depending on your preference.
- Shake and spray on hair as desired.
*Please note that citrus essential oils are photosensitive and can lighten your hair if exposed to UV rays.
Did you know that you can use essential oils for hair that feels tangled, course, or just plain stubborn? Check out this easy Natural Hair Detangler DIY that allows you to use soft, moisturising essential oils to detangle your snarly, troublesome hair.
- Boil water and marshmallow root in small pan.
- Reduce heat and let simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and strain through cheesecloth or wire strainer.
- While warm, pour into bottle and add conditioner, apple cider vinegar, and essential oils.
- Shake until combined.
- To use, spray generous amount on wet hair and comb through.
DIY Herbal Hairspray Recipe
This Herbal Hairspray DIY will bring your favourite essential oils together to create a spray that will give you the hold you need to keep your hair in line—no matter how crazy the day gets. Aerosol hairsprays can often contain harsh chemicals and toxins, but when you use essential oils for hair care, you’ll experience the benefits of safe, natural ingredients.
- In saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring heat to boil and stir until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and cool.
- Pour essential oil into glass spray bottle and add cooled sugar water.
- Use as you would any other hairspray.
DIY Beach Wave Salt Spray
Although you may not live near the beach, your hair can easily look like you’ve been playing in the waves with this homemade salt spray. This easy spray will help give you those perfect beach waves (without all the sand and greasy sunscreen) to help recreate your best hair days at the beach with loose, carefree curls.
- In a spray bottle, add doTERRA Healthy Hold Glaze and salts.
- Add Fractionated Coconut oil and essential oils. Top with water and shake.
- To use, spray generously on hair while scrunching with hands. Let dry.
DIY: Geranium Hair Mask
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 drops Geranium essential oil
Mix eggs with olive oil. Add in honey and Geranium and mix until creamy.
Apply mask from roots to ends of your hair until completely covered.
Cover your hair with plastic wrap or a shower cap and leave for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Rinse with warm water and shampoo until hair is no longer sticky. Use conditioner if necessary.